IMG_2035.jpg

Blog

Art Toy Design - Finish

I learned a lot this week, means epic failed again and again.

Since Saturday I 3d printed lots of time, and even silicone molded with the model.

IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
  • The size: 32-35mm is fitting for general ear sizes. But I cannot sell these as earrings online since all ears are so different, unless I find a magical way to measure people’s ear remotely. When I use Cura, it was around 35% scale of the original 3d object file.

IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG

Watch tutorial before use the material..!!!! I didn’t and learned by experience, which was totally preventable. I used Smooth on Dragon Skin and Crystal Clear 202 and they have terrific video tutorial for “Resin mold for 3d printed model”….Anyways, what I learned were

  • I need TWO tunnel for resin mold if I want to pour resin through the silicone cast. That was the main reason I 3d printed the model again.

  • It’s hard to glue rod on PLA printed model… It’s much better to print all of them from beginning.

IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG

I sanded with 0. coarse sand paper 1. nail filer 2. fine sandpaper and the last one felt like stone. It was so good but I kept breaking legs for each model. It was frustrating and consuming a lot of time, and I noticed,

  • Who decided Nesi has four legs? It is so boring having four legs. It could be odd number, too many or even none! legs are not even supposed to seem like regular legs.

  • Having these tiny legs is definitely wrong design for 3d prototyping.

I decided go with 2 legs left after sanding.

IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG

Nesi with 2 legs looked awesome, it seems a bit of a plant and an animal at the same time.

IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG

I went through silicone casting and resin mold with a new model and found I am wasting material compare to the size of my model..I need to find a way to save them. I just put a blue color for the first trial, but I will try color mix if the resin mold success. With the resin leftover, I made preserved Nesi’s. (Hopefully they could look like amber fossils.)